STEAM Lab for Kids
is an art-forward doorway to science, math, technology, and engineering through 52 family-friendly experiments and activities.
While many aspiring artists don't necessarily identify with STEM subjects, and many young inventors don't see the need for art, one is essential to the other. Revealing this connection and encouraging kids to explore it fills hungry minds with tools essential to problem solving and creative thinking.
Each of the projects in this book is designed to demonstrate that the deeper you look into art, the more engineering and math you'll find.
Following clear, photo-illustrated step-by-step instructions, learn about:
- Angular momentum by creating tie-dyed fidget spinners.
- Electrical conductors by making a light-up graphite-circuit comic book.
- Kinetic energy by constructing a rubber-band racer car.
- Parabolic curves by creating string art with pushpins and a board.
- Symmetry by making fruit and veggie stamp paintings.
- And much more!
Along with the creative, hands-on activities, you'll find:
- Suggestions for taking your projects to the next level with "Creative Enrichment."
- Accessible explanations of the "The STEAM Behind the Fun," including cross-disciplinary related topics.
- Safety tips and hints.
The projects can be used as part of a homeschool curriculum, for family fun, at parties, or as educational activities for groups. Many of the activities are safe enough for children as young as toddlers and exciting enough for older kids, so families can discover the joy of STEAM together.
The popular Lab for Kids series features a growing list of books that share hands-on activities and projects on a wide host of topics, including art, astronomy, clay, geology, math, and even how to create your own circus-all authored by established experts in their fields.
Each lab contains a complete materials list, clear step-by-step photographs of the process, as well as finished samples. The labs can be used as singular projects or as part of a yearlong curriculum of experiential learning. The activities are open-ended, designed to be explored over and over, often with different results. Geared toward being taught or guided by adults, they are enriching for a range of ages and skill levels.
Gain firsthand knowledge on your favorite topic with Lab for Kids.