30-Second Literature: The 50 most important forms, genres and styles, each explained in half a minute
Whether you're looking for a new author or genre to explore, 30-Second Literature
provides you with an introduction to the major literary genres, styles and histories.
Part of the best-selling 30-Second series, this introductory guide to literature is split into 7 chapters. Learn about:
- The History of Literature - from Sanskrit to Modernism
- The Novel - in all its glorious genres
- Literary Prose - non-fiction from diaries to philosophies
- Poetry - from the sonnet to the haiku
- Drama - interesting theatrical forms and genres
- Literary Devices - the techniques authors use in their works
- Literary Styles - the features and history of different styles of writing
Each topic is simply summarised in 300 words and contains a small bibliography for you to expand your bookworm horizons. You can also brush up on literary terms ahead of that book-club meeting, as each chapter features its own glossary. Interspersed throughout the book are profiles of key literary figures that have impacted one of our most beloved hobbies.
Literature is not just any written work; it is work that has stood the test of time, that is most widely thought to be of lasting merit. Just how particular books are elevated to literary status, reflects the values and judgements of society and mirrors the development of civilisation. This book is a broad overview of the multitude of voices used to describe our human experience, perfect for beginners, new students, and lifelong lovers of Literature.
If you like this, you might also be interested in 30-Second Mythology
. . .